About the Kansas Women's Golf Association
- To assist our member clubs with the Rules of Golf and to respond to any requests from our individual members and member clubs.
- To maintain a good working relationship with USGA, the KGA and the KCGA by promoting better golf for all Kansans.
- To maintain a strong relationship with our member clubs and individual members.
- To continue to promote the game of golf among amateur women golfers of Kansas.
- To encourage sportsmanship and skill.
- To provide for annual championships for girls, women and provide other golf related activities.
What is Kansas Women’s Golf Association?
Today, the Kansas Women’s Golf Association (KWGA) is a non-profit association. Our purpose is to promote the game of golf for female golfers, to encourage sportsmanship and skill, and to provide championships and events for women golfers, and to engage in charitable efforts related to the game of golf.
Formed in 1915, for many years the sole purpose of the KWGA was to host an annual match play golf tournament for female amateur golfers of Kansas. This championship was held every year except for the four years of World War II. The KWGA changed significantly in the 1950s and 1960s with expansion of programs and membership increases. KWGA provides awards for low net handicap events, establishment of course ratings for member clubs in 1958, the initiation of a comprehensive junior girls’ program in 1961, and the introduction of many other annual state championships, tournaments, and events. Likewise the annual match play championship was changed in the middle 1960s to a 54-hole stroke play event. More recently KWGA rates golf courses for slope, provides a KWGA GHIN Handicap Service, and provides an annual scholarship for girl golfers.
KWGA provides many services to the member clubs:
- Course and Slope Ratings and Stroke Allocation Assistance
- Low Net Medal for both 9 and 18 hole golfers
- Hole-in-One awards
- Golf Bag
- Junior Golf Program for female junior golfers
- GHIN Handicap Service to women, men and juniors
- Scholarships for female golfers
- Invitational Scheduling Service
- Field Assistance for matters related to the game of golf
- Web page
- Four Championships
- Special events
- Fall and Spring state meetings and informational seminars